Monday, April 2, 2007

Hogwarts Haggadah

One of les enfants juifs looks a lot like Harry Potter. That got me thinking about Passover at Hogwarts, so I googled "Hogwarts Haggadah." No direct hit, but I did discover that amazon.com sells a book called Harry Potter and Torah, which is currently Amazon's 447,843rd best seller. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1847532373?ie=UTF8&tag=hpt-20

The author is identified as Dov Krulwich, but the name is almost certainly a J.K. Rowling invention. Like me, Dov Krulwich maintains a Blogspot blog, and his March 15, 2007, post is titled "A Passover thought related to Harry Potter: The importance of Jewish unity," in which he leaps from the fact that Dumbledore counseled unity against Voldemort to the lesson that Jews should stick together.

I see a similar connection between the fact that there are four questions at Passover and the fact that there are at least four questions that need to be resolved in HP VII, in particular whether Snape is a good guy or a bad guy.

Let me know your nominations for the four most urgent questions to be resolved in HP VII.

3 comments:

Bruce Krulwich said...

Nice blog!

But my name actually isn't a JK Rowling invention. If Harry Potter and Torah were written by her, it would have sold more!

The book is a collection of Torah-based Jewish insights into themes from the Harry Potter series.

The book has only been sold by Amazon for about a week, and before that was sold through the publisher. My blog has more info.

Bruce Krulwich said...

By the way, no insult taken about my being 447,843rd in Amazon's rankings. I see it as a challenge!

Sarah said...

Good luck with your book, Krulwich. You should be proud to have such a Rowlingian name. If you're ever in Austin for Passover, come and eat.