Monday, April 2, 2007

Woohoo - Time for Wine

קַדֵשׁ

One of the great things about Passover is the whole "four cups of wine" thing -- and now seems like a good time to start!

As I down this first one, I can't help but think about the first promise found in the Torah -- "I am Adonai, and I will free you from slavery in Egypt."

So let's bless the wine. Here's the Hebrew:

בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יי אֱלֹהֵינוּ מֶלֶךְ הָעוֹלָםבּוֹרֵא פְּרִי הַגָפֶן.
( . . . boray pri hagafen)
And in English:

Praised be Thou, O Lord our God, king of the universe, who created the fruit of the vine.


(For many years, Phil has tried to replace traditional Jewish wines with fancy French wines. This year he has traded in his yarmulke for a beret.)



Speaking of great things, it troubles me that dogs don't get any attention at the Seder. Maybe the Israelites had bad experiences with dogs in Egypt. There is, after all, a dog known as a pharoah dog, with a figure Ella can only dream about.

No comments: